•8:53 PM
I forgot my camera this time! Ugh. We made quite a few discoveries outside of the nine letterboxes! There are actually 12 in this park. It's a great place to find a bunch at once. I was quite satisfied with the great stamp carvings that were in them, too.
Taylor did some excellent nature drawing while I was working with the letterboxes. In case you're interested in providing your child and/ or yourself with a nature notebook, you can use just about anything. You can pick up a notebook from the store. I would suggest no using a spiral bound notebook since the pages will fall out eventually. Or, you can get a lovely journal. Walmart carries journals and so do the big bookstores. We prefer journals without lines. We just made ours with scrap paper and ribbon. We used a paper cutter to cut the paper evenly and a whole punch. Taylor used stamps to decorate the outside. The only thing we lack are transportable color pencils. I'm sure we could arrange that from what we have here if we take the time.
Anything can be drawn in a nature notebook. We like to find something beautiful or unusual to draw. Then, we try to draw it well enough to later identify it since we don't carry those kind of guides. We do have a hiking pack with our nature notebooking, letterboxing and first aid supplies. We carry a Texas bird identification book and binoculars, too. It's amazing how much more we learn through this kind of nature study than just looking at pictures in a book. Nature notebooking makes it more personal.
Among our nature discoveries were a female ruby-throated hummingbird, a few different calls and songs of a Cardinal, a popular area for Cliff Swallows and a somewhat hidden overlook. We also found a very interesting little bug that we have not been able to identify. This is a drawing of the bug and the shrivelled red berry he was sitting on. The berry was about an inch and a half long just to give you an idea. I thought he was a sort of lady bug, but we can't find him in any of our bug identifier sites. http://www.whatsthatbug.com/ is one of our favorite places to search for bug identification. Please post if you know!

Here's a pic of their playscape near the trail entrance that I copied from their website.
Taylor did some excellent nature drawing while I was working with the letterboxes. In case you're interested in providing your child and/ or yourself with a nature notebook, you can use just about anything. You can pick up a notebook from the store. I would suggest no using a spiral bound notebook since the pages will fall out eventually. Or, you can get a lovely journal. Walmart carries journals and so do the big bookstores. We prefer journals without lines. We just made ours with scrap paper and ribbon. We used a paper cutter to cut the paper evenly and a whole punch. Taylor used stamps to decorate the outside. The only thing we lack are transportable color pencils. I'm sure we could arrange that from what we have here if we take the time.
Anything can be drawn in a nature notebook. We like to find something beautiful or unusual to draw. Then, we try to draw it well enough to later identify it since we don't carry those kind of guides. We do have a hiking pack with our nature notebooking, letterboxing and first aid supplies. We carry a Texas bird identification book and binoculars, too. It's amazing how much more we learn through this kind of nature study than just looking at pictures in a book. Nature notebooking makes it more personal.
Among our nature discoveries were a female ruby-throated hummingbird, a few different calls and songs of a Cardinal, a popular area for Cliff Swallows and a somewhat hidden overlook. We also found a very interesting little bug that we have not been able to identify. This is a drawing of the bug and the shrivelled red berry he was sitting on. The berry was about an inch and a half long just to give you an idea. I thought he was a sort of lady bug, but we can't find him in any of our bug identifier sites. http://www.whatsthatbug.com/ is one of our favorite places to search for bug identification. Please post if you know!
Here's a pic I snagged from some website so you can get the feel for the little hummer we saw. It's amazing to see these little guys. They're precious!



1 comments:
It looks like Taylor is enjoying the CM way of learning!!