Author: Jennifer
•9:28 AM
Have you ever heard of a Woolly Bear? We found this little guy on our Wandering Jew, munching away. So, we collected him along with some soil, leaves, sticks and some of his treats he was dining on and put them in a jar. He's been fun to watch.

It took a little research to find out what it was. Butterfly caterpillars are fairly easy to identify, but moth caterpillars are not as well-known. This one in particular, we found, is a Giant Leopard Moth Caterpillar, nicknamed Woolly Bear for his cute appearance.

Some caterpillars are poisonous, so be careful about picking them up with your fingers. A general rule for caterpillars is to never touch the fuzzy ones. This one is not poisonous, but those are not my fingers either. :-) I borrowed this picture from another site.Do you see the red stripes between segments? That's the clue we needed to identify this critter. He is still a caterpillar now. When he molts, he leaves behind fuzzy black balls. It's cute. We hope to actually see him make it to his moth stage. Isn't this a pretty picture?If you want a little more information on this interesting creature, here's the site I gather my information from: http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek020608.html

We have some neat bird stories to share next.
This entry was posted on 9:28 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On August 10, 2009 at 11:03 PM , jamiegilson said...

Wow! I love reading your blog and so do my kids. So many cool insects, creatures and information. I love it! We're really going to miss our SA nature walks. I've been trying to find a Charlotte Mason group or any group up here in Spokane that wants to walk, but haven't been successful yet. We may just be our little family. Keep sharing all your cool finds. Did I mention we love it.=)