Author: Jennifer
•8:25 PM
We finally decided to mess of the rental house by adding a garden. I didn't think we'd be here so long. I just have to plant something! I'll get some pics of the garden to post soon. In the meantime, we'd like to share something cool we found out.

I knew there was rotting wood under the area where I built up my bed for my vege garden. Well, in the mornings, we started to notice some suspicious holes that are about 1.5" in diameter and really deep. I was concerned because I knew there were large grubs deep down in that decomposing wood.I walked out tonight to leave some new plants out to plant tomorrow. I heard a little movement in the garden and guess what I found. All the little partiers were just coming out of their holes. Here's a female rhinoceros beetle. Big gal, huh?Thanks to our gardening yahoo group, I found more info on there guys on www.dirtdoctor.com. Here's what he had to say about them:

"The grubs and the adults are beneficial in helping break down organic matter and do not hurt plants in any way. See the Texas Bug Book for additional details."

Here's a little more of his info on them here:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/view_question/id/1032/

So, being the homeschool family that we are, we wanted to learn more. :-) Yes, at 10 o'clock at night! Here's a really cool video about rhino beetles. AND, here's more info:
http://www.extremescience.com/StrongestCreature.htm

This entry was posted on 8:25 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On May 11, 2009 at 7:52 PM , jamiegilson said...

Wow! That was amazing!!!