Author: Jennifer
•9:30 PM
Our school room looks quite messy right now... just when I got it all neat and organized. Yes, we've started another project. That drawer of material is just a sample of the other four lying on the floor! We were greatly blessed by a box full of material from another homeschool mom whose family is moving.
We recently joined our church quilting bee ministry. There is a beginners corner with a wonderful teacher! We will be attending this group once a month. In the meantime, Taylor and I have homework! After cutting lots of 4-1/2 x 4-1/2 squares of material, we were sent home with a pile of them. I was told to create twelve 9-patch blocks out of them. Well, to my dismay, the colors didn't match at all. I couldn't handle that. SO, out came the mess of material!
Here's what we came up with. The floral on this first block (the first we've ever made!) and the yellow were from the church. We found a nice green to coordinate.

Here's the second block (that we've ever made) uses the green and yellow materials from the church and a floral from my boxes.

I like the first, Taylor likes the second. What do you think? I need some help choosing a solid that will go in between all of the blocks. Quilters... please post! :-)
This entry was posted on 9:30 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On January 27, 2009 at 10:40 AM , Anonymous said...

You did a good job on your blocks. I like the first one a little better than the second, but I am a traditionalist. As for a color to go between the blocks, you have a couple of options. Try a solid creme or a solid that off-sets some of the rose in your floral. When you go to the fabric store, place your block on the bolt that you think you might like, then stand back about 10 feet to get a good look at it. You will be amazed at how different the colors look from afar. I have liked a particular fabric up close then realized it didn't look as good as I thought it did when I was further away.

When you are finished with your quilt, be sure to post pictures so we can see your finished product. If you really want to get into quilting, you should try the quilt-as-you-go method. It is really easy and lots of fun. I love to quilt and I'm sure you will enjoy it as well.

 
On January 29, 2009 at 8:39 PM , Jennifer said...

Thanks for your post Michelle! I'm thinking of a pink or a yellow. We'll see. Wait til you see the quilt block Taylor put together tonight. That's gonna be a striking quilt. That ladies at church may be more in shock. :-) Taylor's proud of it.

 
On January 30, 2009 at 6:19 PM , Anonymous said...

I think a pink or a yellow will go quite nicely between the blocks. I can tell you are having fun with this already! Happy quilting.