Author: Jennifer
•8:35 PM
Our homeschool group recently went on a field trip to Natural Bridge Caverns. Taylor has never been and I hadn't since you was about her age. So, we were excited to go. To learn more about it, here's their website:

There's the land bridge over the cave below. The place we were standing here was a sink hole.

This is a wet cave so you see a lot of the water/ setiment formations such as the basic stelagmite and stelagtite.
The side formations on the ceiling there are called cave drapery. And, you can see some stelagmites down below. Remember, stelagmites might reach the ceiling some day. :-)
Big stelagmites here and several connecting to the ceiling... called columns. This area was lovingly names Sherwood Forest.

Daniel is standing in front of the "Fairy Castles".
This area doesn't look so friendly. This is Pergatory Creek... halfway between the walkway and the abyss.
I don't remember the name of this room, but it's the largest one in the whole cave. It's impossible to photograph the expanse of this room. It's really huge.
This little pond is called Emerald Lake. Can you see why?
This is the "Valley of the Fallen Lords".
And then... there was a steep walkway to get out. And we were hustling because there was a group behind us. Daniel wimpered getting up that hill and I think I did too. I had to take an Advil just to get to sleep that night because my legs were so soar. Time to get back in shape!
Anyway, this was a very interesting trip. I'm encourage to study geology with the kids in the next couple of years. We have some great resources local to San Antonio!
This entry was posted on 8:35 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: